Good news! Anger is a natural human emotion. We have all experienced situations where our anger has reared its’ ugly head in some way. However, the majority of us are able to calm ourselves down before getting too much out of control. Sadly, there are others who suffer with the inability to process their anger in a healthy way, allowing minor irritations to send them into a full-fledged rage. If your response to life’s inconveniences is reckless or violent, putting yourself and others in potential harm, anger management might be the next best option for you.
You also might benefit from anger management if you:
- Are often in trouble with the law
- Are often involved in fights and arguments with people around you
- Have hit a spouse or child
- Have threatened violence against others
- Have a tendency to break things during an angry outburst
Your Journey To Peace
Admitting that you might have an anger problem is half the battle. You’ve begun to recognize how anger has negatively affected your relationships and your heath, so now it’s time to take back control. Next, you’ll just have to show up to classes and participate. Participation is critical to your victory. Some things you will discover on your journey:
- Anger is often a cover-up for other feelings such as deep hurt caused from childhood trauma. It’s time to figure out what other emotions you might be feeling under that anger and why. This will be painful, but this pain is a necessary part to gaining freedom.
- Recognize and avoid triggers. While you are in recovery, it is okay to remove yourself from situations or relationships that bring out the worst in you.
- Recognize the warning signs of an angry outburst, and practice some self-soothing tactics such as exercising, self check-ins, meditation, or prayer in order to give you a better sense of control over your anger in any situation.
- And most importantly, learn to choose healthier ways to express your anger.
You won’t get it perfect every time, but as you start putting what you’ve learned into practice you will began to think about things differently, no longer allowing situations or circumstances to control you.
Revival Recovery Services
At Revival, we long to see you free from a life of anger. We’ve seen anger management treatment (along with the power of Jesus) change lives, restore self-worth, repair families and marriages, positively influence careers, and greatly improve overall communication.
If you find yourself struggling with anger issues, there is no doubt that anger management treatment is effective. Before you let your anger get out of control, seek help now so that you and your loved ones can lead a healthier life from now onward.